Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cleaning up pedals

So, I wanted this Univega bike to be kind of retro 1980's/classic looking. All silver, non-aero brake levers centerpulls etc.

So when it came to pedals, I had to think carefully. Platform pedals would have been cool.



But, I'm planning on riding this bike for longer than 2 miles, and I dont like wearing platforms for much longer than this. Even with the addition of toe clips, I dont like it.

I have used Look pedals for years as well as Speedplays, but I felt like both of these wouldnt have preserved the look I was going for. Even though Looks were made in the 80's I guess I wanted this bike to have a more classic look. Plus, Looks are so bulky and un-elegant.

What I chose was a pair of SPD-R pedals, Wellgo R4's actually. They are silver, clipless, and minimal. Although they were made in the 90's, I actually think they will fit this bike well.

I bought a pair off of eBay for $10 shipped with cleats, score! They were scratched up as to be expected.

By using just 000 steel wool I was able to remove the anodized coating and with a coat of Brasso on top of that, they really shine. Check out the before and after:



I would have used the Oven Cleaner trick, but there are so many small nooks and crannies, I was afraid it would take much longer (and it would have). Additionally, I was concerned about removing the spring loaded plate and never being able to put them back together.

The 000 steel wool worked well and was a good lesson, you dont always need oven cleaner to remove anodized coating

No comments:

Post a Comment